Who We Are

WAC Coordinators

Swan Kim (WAC Fellows & Program Development)

CO 626 x5745

As the coordinator of the Bronx Community College WAC program, my goal is to better assist and serve the needs of Writing Intensive faculty and students on campus and provide pedagogical training and professional development of the Writing Fellows. Having worked at writing programs at University of Virginia, Rutgers at New Brunswick, and New York Institute of Technology, I am interested in identifying and refining a WAC model that best supports BCC. Also building on my experience as a project manager in digital humanities projects, I would like to further promote awareness and use of WAC resources online. I am thrilled to be part of this program and looking forward to work with the WAC Fellows.

Giulia Guarnieri (Assessment & Faculty Development)

CO 236 x5645

In my current role, I provide assistance in the areas of program assessment, faculty development, and data analytics. Prior to joining the WAC program, I led the First-Year Program and created and managed the Podcasting Faculty Seminar, where I oversaw all aspects of the training, evaluation, planning, and assessment. I also serve on the board of the Center for Teaching, Learning and Technology. I was raised in Italy but have been living in the United States for over 20 years. I received a graduate degree in English Language and Literature and a Ph.D. in Romance Languages– at BCC, I am Professor of Italian Language and Literature. I was trained in WAC pedagogy both in graduate school and at Bronx Community College. In addition, I serve as an instructional technology consultant for higher education both in the US and Europe. I look forward to working with all future participating faculty and fellows.

2021-2022 WAC Fellows

Lisa Babel (Psychology)

I am a PhD candidate in Developmental Psychology at the CUNY Graduate Center. I received my Bachelor’s Degree from CUNY’s Hunter College, with a double major in Political Science and Sociology. As an undergrad, I did research on the nation’s Head Start program. Once I enrolled in the CUNY Graduate Center, I compared Head Start to Montessori preschools and the potential effect(s) various learning environments have on children and their families. I completed my Master’s Degree in Childhood and Youth Studies at the CUNY Graduate Center, as well as an enroute Master’s Degree in Developmental Psychology. As a PhD student, I am conducting a qualitative study on Kindergarten readiness and academic redshirting across socioeconomic status for my dissertation. I am also working on several studies related to types of play and equitable play spaces in urban environments. Other areas of interest include universal preschool, the transition from home to school, standardized testing, global education initiatives, as well as alternative school pedagogy. Currently, I am an Adjunct Lecturer and Thesis Advisor at CUNY’s City College where I teach both undergraduate and graduate courses in psychology.

Dongwoo Kim (Philosophy)

I am a PhD candidate in Philosophy at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York.  My research is in the metaphysics and epistemology of modality. Some things in the world could have been otherwise, while others are not. This is the distinction between contingency and necessity. Whence the distinction, and how do we recognize, of a given fact, whether it is contingent or necessary? These are the main questions of my dissertation project. I also work on some of the topics in areas such as logic, the philosophy of language, the philosophy of mathematics, and the history of analytic philosophy.

I was previously a Graduate Teaching Fellow at Baruch College, where I taught courses in ethics, critical thinking, and logic. My pedagogy focuses on fostering two inter-related abilities by guided discussion in classroom: the ability to articulate abstract ideas in terms of concrete examples, and the ability to identify, of any given idea, its strengths and potential weaknesses. 

Madeline Lafuse (History)

I am a PhD candidate in History at CUNY Graduate Center. I write on slavery and poison in nineteenth-century New Orleans. I use a wide variety of cultural productions to explore the complex relationships that emerged from the tension between enslaved culinary labor and slaveholder vulnerability to poisoning. In the process, my project draws new connections between the politics of free people of color, slaveholders’ racial fantasies, and mythmaking around the Voodoo Queen Marie Laveau.

I come to BCC from Lehman College’s History Department, where I was a Graduate Teaching Fellow. I taught six semesters of the US History survey through Reconstruction. My pedagogical approach draws from my previous experience teaching English as a Second Language around the world. I encourage student engagement and self-confidence with creative assignments that lean into the challenges of a multilevel, linguistically diverse classroom.

Irina Mindlis (Psychology)

I am a PhD Candidate in the Health Psychology and Clinical Science program at The Graduate Center of CUNY. My research focuses on psychosocial adjustment to illness among older adults, especially in those with multiple chronic illnesses – also known as multimorbidity. I am especially interested in how the compounding of difficulties that comes with multimorbidity and aging affects underserved and underprivileged populations. I also work on projects related to patient-physician communication.

I was previously a Graduate Teaching Fellow at Hunter College, where I taught two semesters of Health Psychology to large sections of 100+ students. Teaching large courses inspired me to think deeply about how to encourage writing for the sciences through short assignments and group collaboration.

Pedro Monque Lopez (Philosophy)

I am a Ph.D. student in Philosophy at the CUNY Graduate Center. Originally from Puerto Ordaz, Venezuela, I work in Latin American philosophy, social and political philosophy (especially race, feminist, and LGBTQ+ philosophy), and environmental philosophy. My research focuses on processes of decolonization by indigenous, black, and queer communities in Latin America, especially those under the banner of “defensa del territorio”. I also regularly organize and participate in grassroots educational projects in Latin America.

Before becoming a WAC fellow at Bronx Community College, I was a teaching fellow at Lehman College where I developed a new class on Latin American philosophy in Spanish, and also regularly taught Theories of Human Nature. I came to education searching for ideas that would help me combat forms of oppression that I witnessed or had myself experienced. Many students come to class with a similar hunch that education can be a liberatory practice. My pedagogical approach relies on several traditions (Latin American popular education, feminist and anti-racist pedagogy, learner-centered pedagogy) to design learning spaces that are personal and diverse enough to benefit all students.

Chandni Tariq (History)

I am a PhD student in History at the CUNY Graduate Center. I am working on understanding the construction of alterity and racial categories across the Atlantic and Indian Ocean worlds. My research examines the cultural materials of slavery and empire and their lasting legacy of anti-Blackness in the United States, Britain, and South Asia.  

Before joining WAC at BCC, I was a Graduate Teaching Fellow at Queens College’s History Department. At Queens, I taught U.S. History since 1865 for six wonderful semesters. I continue to teach this semester at Manhattan College. My pedagogical approach emerges from my personal experiences as a student of color growing up in NYC. My emphasis has always been on using reading and writing together to give my students a language to express and advocate for themselves in an academic setting. I have also spent my time teaching interrogating my own grading practices and have adapted them to meet the wide range of reading and writing capabilities students bring to the classroom. Teaching and learning ought to be socially conscious and explicitly anti-racist.

expand

2020-2021 Fellows

• Zoe Cunliffe
  • Jiwon Han
  • Maxine Krenzel
  • Brenna McCaffrey
  • Dean Schafer
  • Martha Schulenburg

2019-2020 Fellows

• Austin Bailey
  • Allison Cabana
  • Elena Chavez Goycochea
  • Jessie McCormack
  • Marc Cesar Rickenbach
  • Kelsey Swift
  • Katherine Volkmer

2018-2019 Fellows

• Gabriel Arce Riocabo
  • Kiki Leung
  • Jessie McCormack
  • Parfait Kouacou, Drexel University
  • Eleanor Luken
  • Katherine Volkmer

2017-2018 Fellows

2016-2017 Fellows

2015-2016 Fellows

2014-2015 Fellows

• David Bridges
  • Jennifer Chancellor
  • Benjamin Dumbauld
  • Yu-Yun Hsieh
  • Svetlana Jović
  • Michael Polesny
Need help with the Commons? Visit our
help page
Send us a message